Sunday, December 28, 2008

control that kid

I took some of the girls from the center out to lunch today. We sat next to a table with a mom, her three kids and the grandparents. Other than a few toddler outbursts and whining next to us, lunch went well. It did, however, confirm to the girls that their adoption decision was right on. At one point the frazzled mother took her young son by the arm and led him of the room as he said "I will be good, I will be good..." Unfortunately it was too late for him. As they came back into the room a few minutes later, mom in the lead, the boy (probably about 3 years old) said to his mom "I am so mad," to which she replied...."I don't care if you are mad." I got a good laugh at that one.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh good heavens. I so feel her pain! Those moments are truly mortifying, and you just pray everyone around has been there and can be sympathetic. Interestingly enough, I declined an invite from my family today on meeting them out at a restaurant for lunch. :)

I can remember going out to eat, one time in particular, when Caleb was a little guy. I remember how much WORK it was to keep him happy sometimes! And I can think of more times than I can count of us having to get Mom's food to go. If only I knew then what I know now. I'd likely have helped out a lot more!

Have I mentioned lately how much I love keeping up with you on your blog? :) Makes me smile. Miss you, H!

Jolyn said...

"That's okay, you can be mad. But you have to be good, too." That's along the same lines I learned from my sister Carmen when she would tell Jake it's time for his nap and he would say, "But I'm not tired!" And she'd say, "That's okay, you don't have to be tired. But you still have to take a nap."

I can't tell you how much I've used that logic with my kids. It doesn't always work! But it really flummoxes them.