Tuesday, December 16, 2008

old stuff

My mom called me this morning. She is cleaning out closets and wants to know what to do with all of our formal dresses. I do not fit into them anymore and would probably never wear them again, but I made all of my prom dresses and the thought of giving them away is uneasy. Hours of designing, sewing, ripping. and resewing went into these three dresses. She wants to donate them to a good cause - a store that provides young girls with dresses for formals that cannot afford them. I also have several bridesmaids dresses too. Why do I all of a sudden feel like the girl from the movie 27 Dresses? You feel crumby for thinking about keeping something you will surely never wear again. I mean seriously, the 90's are so over....I guess they could come back. But, the memories of them are fun. I can picture having a little girl or Joely playing dress up in them one day. But that isn't really a great cause. I guess that is what pictures are for. The right thing to do is donate them and never look back...as my husband would say.

I have a cookie party for work today. We are all getting together at my boss's house. I think that it will be a lot of fun. I made cookies last night when I got home from Lamaze class at 10:00.

I will be glad when Lamaze is over. I will be anxious to take the Bradley classes when I actually am pregnant. Lamaze is for doula certification. It was the fastest, easiest way to get childbirth classes out of the way. You can't be pregnant to get the class for the certification. Bradley classes last 12 weeks, Lamaze lasts 4. I did the math on that one. Last night we toured Harris Methodist downtown. It is a nice hospital and they are redoing the labor and delivery floors. I just can't picture having a baby in hospital myself, but 99% of women do it.

My husband just got home from work and said "what is for lunch?" I need to grocery shop, but until then I'd better rummage something up.

Hugs....stay warm!

3 comments:

Smits Family said...

Can you imagine how many prom/bridesmaids/wedding dresses are hanging in closets around the country! Just crazy! I cleaned some out but had to hang on to a few.... at least for now! :)

Jerilyn said...

When the girls got to be a certain age I was so sorry I hadn't kept some of my dresses. Not just prom, but other favorite dresses also. So do keep a few that you especially liked if you can.

Jolyn said...

It is so hard to let things go! But a great idea would be to make yourself a scrapbook of them -- or better yet, let snapfish or shutterfly do it for you. Tell your mom that would make a great gift if you don't think you can get to it. (wink-wink nudge-nudge) Take pictures of each dress and collect any pictures you have of yourself wearing them and put them all together in a book!

I did that with Conner's preschool paintings, for example. And honestly 10 years later they are already crisp and crumbling. Honestly if I am going to keep these things then I need to store them right. If you do mom's idea of keeping one or two that would also be great but take some time to store them properly so they don't decay and put all that storage space to waste.

Whew! this is like a blog post of its own.

I also have to add that the word verification below I have to type in? Is "desses"! what are the odds.