Friday, August 15, 2008

a rough week

I have really debated about whether or not to blog about what has been going on the past couple of days, but I guess I need to share it now.

This past week I have been having some pain in what I thought to be my ovaries and kind of dismissed it as being painful cysts. I have had cysts in the past and some have been even more painful than this. When I began bleeding along with this, I found it to be a bit odd, mostly because it wasn't that "time" and also because I was in some pain. Again, I sort of dismissed it. About day 4-5 I decided it was getting to be a bit more serious than I had originally thought and I stayed home from work on Wednesday. My pain was off and on during the day but got a bit worse at night. Scott was working so I was calling my mom for advice. I called a gyno to get an appointment and they were going to fit me in the falling day at 8:50 am. That would have been Thursday am. By the time Scott got home Wednesday evening and had settled in a while I decided it may be time to think about going to the emergency room. Still, I wasn't at a 10 level of pain, but enough that I wasn't sure I could sleep ok.

We got to the ER at about 11:30pm and got all checked in. We waited and waited and waited and at about 2:30am they called us back. They ran some blood tests. By this time I had sent Scott to the car to get some rest. He had to be to work early and I felt like I was in good hands. After the blood was taken, I was able to rest until about 5:00am when in comes the sonogram guy who informed me that I had a positive pregnancy test and he was there to see what he could find. I knew this couldn't be good because I had had a period and this bleeding all since we would have conceived. Scott came back in while he was finishing up the sonogram. The guy left and the doctor came back pretty quickly and informed us that I had an pregnancy that was growing in my fallopian tube and he was getting a gyno to come down and inform me of my options. The ER doc said that most likely I would be having surgery pretty much immediately. When the gyno got there he checked me "in and out" and verified what he also believed to be an ectopic pregnancy and we would be having surgery right away. Scott was pretty emotional about all of it and I was a bit scared as well. We took the time to say a prayer together and I felt at peace after that.

It is kind of all a blur from there. I remember being wheeled from Baylor All Saints ER to the new Baylor All Saints Women's Hospital. Everyone was so nice and took such wonderful care of me. They all explained in detail what was going to be happening and everything they were doing. I woke from surgery about 11:30 am. They did a laproscopic surgery and went in through my belly button and in two point lower. They had to take my left fallopian tube because it was too badly damaged. They were amazed that I had not been in more pain than I was in before coming to the ER.

At about 2:30pm on Thursday. I was discharged and Scott brought me home. My mom got here about 4:3opm and has been taking very good care of me. She is making soup and keeping fluids in me. I am pretty sore, but have been trying to keep from taking the serious pain killers and sticking to the Ibuprofen. I am walking around a little bit, but mostly staying on the sofa or in bed. I am trying to get all rested. Mom and I are going to Arkansas on Monday and she will take care of me and Heidi, who had unfortunately developed a breast infection and still needs help with her 2.5 year old and the newborn.

I will keep you all updated. Thank you all for your prayers and support!

3 comments:

Jolyn said...

Oh, Hannah, I am so sorry. But so glad you are okay. Rest as best you can and enjoy your visit with your new little niece.

Em said...

Hans, I have been praying for you!! I'm so glad you're ok and glad that they were able to "fix the pipes!" I think you secretly planned this so you could make an early visit to baby Joely....hahaha just kidding! Enjoy your visit and please get well-both of you!! Love you guys!

Smits Family said...

WOW Hannah! Sorry I am just reading this!

I am so sorry that this happened to you! I will be praying for you guys!