Tuesday, August 12, 2008

i'm in the dog house!

Today was a great day off! Not to mention that is was also our anniversary today. I gave a massage early this morning, and then headed out to Marissa's house for lunch. She made me a fabulous meal as an early birthday present! I just love that lady, she is such a great friend. After lunch, I went to meet with the realtor we are going to work with if we decide to by a house that is on the market. It is looking like we are very interested in the house that is up for sale by our landlord. I will have to share that story, but first, I am sure you are wondering why I am in the doghouse. Well, I didn't get my hubby a card for our anniversary!!!! Can you believe it, ME, I didn't get one....the wife!!!!!! And to top it all off he got me one, a very sweet one I might add. We kind of joked about giving cards every other year since I got him one last year and he forgot to give me one! (he blames that on the fact we moved to Arkansas on our anniversary last year) It really isn't THAT big of a deal, but he keeps giving me a hard time that I forgot the card. So, we tried a sushi place tonight that is downtown we hadn't been to called Piranna's. It was so good! To make it up to him, I bought dinner. But let's back up. Before dinner, we got to go over to look at the house we are interested in buying.

Here is the story on that.......
So this place is owned by our landlord and has been rented out for a year. Unfortunately, there are people in this world who are not responsible for their business. The tenants had not been paying for several months and it was time for them to pay or get out. They were taken to eviction court and given 10 days to pay or get out and still did not pay. As a matter of fact, come to find out they were also conveniently stealing water and electricity from the city! Yesterday the sheriff and corporal showed up on their doorstep to move them out. Sad, but seriously, take care of your business people! We now have the opportunity to purchase this house. The tenants had just been evicted yesterday. The police had moved their furniture and all their belongings to the curb. These people had been living in filth and trash. When we went in there tonight we were very sad to know that there had been a 17 month old baby living in there. There was food and bugs EVERYWHERE! It definitely needs some TLC, but we are up for the challenge. We saw past the disarray to what the possibilities could be! It is three bedrooms, one and a half baths, and two car garage. It is a lot bigger than we were expecting and definitely bigger than our house now. It is convenient to everything we need to get to in Fort Worth. We are so very excited. We went to Barnes and Noble after dinner to look at remodel magazines. The bathrooms are going to need the most work. The kitchen is not a total redo like we were thinking it might be. I will share some pictures, but please know that we were able to look at it in "as is" condition and it will be cleaned this week. I drew a little floor plan so you all can get a better idea or how the hosue is configured. It was kind of hard to take pictures to show the real set up.

Consider these the "Before" in our before and after project.

View #1 of the kitchen. It has nice tile floors that we agreed would be good to keep.
A view of the living room. It has nice hard wood floors. Scott is
standing in the dining room, you can see his foot.

The house sits on a corner. This was taken about six weeks ago when they were still living there. I wonder if they knew we were stalking the house!! ;)

View #2 of the kitchen with the built in oven and microwave. The bifold
doors to the right that are open belong to the laundry area.

Can you get the idea of why a bathroom remodel is at the top of our list. The green tile just doesn't do it for me!

A floor plan view.

3 comments:

sheri said...

Love the house and am so excited to see it in person! I think I would smudge it after the trash is out and things are cleaned up a bit. (Or should one do the smudging first?) Anyway, you guys will have so much fun with this project. The wood floors look fabulous. And you would enjoy the kitchen, too, I think.

What!!? You are thinking of getting rid of the green tile in that bathroom? How about incorporating it into an interesting color scheme...at least for a while it would be a fun and inexpensive update. You have a knack for design... I wonder what you could do with this design challenge.

Keep us posted. Have fun!
Love, Mom

Dad said...

Hi Hannah & Scott - I really like the house. From the picture the roof looks good, and all brick. The kitchen looks nice, and I really like the 50ish mint green tile in the bathroom. The floor plan looks very usable and practical. How many square feet?

Good luck with your negotiations.

Love - Dad

JoAnne said...

Love it! I agree with your parents, I like the mint green tile in the bath. If the tile is in good shape you should go with it. Tile jobs were done very well back in the day. You could really make that color look good. I love the wood floors and the corner lot is very nice. I think you guys will really make this a charming home and it will be so much fun! Good Luck!