Tuesday, August 19, 2008

my journey to Arkansas

My mom and I got to Arkansas today. It was quite an eventful trip. We left yesterday (Monday) morning. I hadn't been feeling too well before we left, but thought it would pass. I was feeling nauseous and just not quite right. We left at about 9:45am anyway, thinking it would pass. I kept feeling worse and worse and we ended up stopping about halfway in McAlester, OK to get a thermometer. My temperature was 99.9 at that point. We called my doc back in Fort Worth to see what we should do at that point. Meanwhile, we checked into a hotel and got comfy. When the doctor called back he said that the surgery had got very well with no complications and there shouldn't be anything wrong surgery related. He told me that if my fever got to 101 to go to the ER. I was very impressed with the fact that he took the time to call me and cared enough to share his thoughts that could have just as easily been relayed through his nurses. About two hours later my fever had gotten to 101.6 so we headed back to the ER. Long story short, after several blood tests, a chest x-ray, and an ultra sound of my legs to ensure no blood clots, come to find out I had the FLU!!!! Go figure...... Luckily it was just a 24 hour bug and I woke up this morning feeling wonderful and we made our way on to Arkansas to see my sister and her family. I have been having a lot of fun so far. Probably too much fun with Andrew. I need to be taking it easy still. I am looking forward to a fun week here before going back to work next week.

As a side note, I am very thankful to God for my life today. We never know when our time is up and thankfully I am here today by the grace of God. When talking to my doctor on the phone yesterday, he had mentioned that the Vicodin (pain meds) he had prescribed may be causing the nausea. When I told him I never got that prescription filled he was amazed. He proceeded to tell me that I was one of the toughest patients he had ever seen. My fallopian tube had been the size of a bratwurst sausage. Kind of a gross comparison, but I got the point. A normal tube is about .5 to 1 centimeter in diameter. He was also amazed at the fact that when he saw me in the ER that I was sitting up and talking to him. Most girls, apparently, would have been doubled over. If my tube had ruptured, I would have lost all of my blood in one hour. It was only a matter of a short time before my surgery before that would have happened. So, as you can see, I am very thankful for my life today considering that I was very close to something way more serious.

On a lighter note, I love to show off my nephew and niece!!! Love to be here with them.


2 comments:

judy said...

We have been thinking and praying for you. We're so thankful you are OK. But that part that Jerilyn said about not doing too much- - -you should start doing that now!

Cherilyn Dahlsten said...

Hannah, so glad you're feeling better. Nothing like a close call to make one VERY thankful for life, especially such a blessed life as yours. Enjoy your time in Arkansas but take it easy! Love you, Cheri.