Friday, March 6, 2009

I wish I could be cloned

Yesterday, I had a scheduled induction with one of the girls from the adoption agency. I went in Wednesday evening at about 5pm with her so she could spend the night and I left at 11pm. I was to be back at the hospital at 7am the following morning for the induction. I had to have a back up for me just in case my client (Rachel) went into labor. At about 5am yesterday morning I got a phone call. It was Nancy. (I met Nancy through my friend Donna. Nancy took her Bradley birth class. Anyway, Nancy is a doula and hired a doula for her birth. She said that I could shadow her doula for the experience.) So, anyway, Nancy said that her water had broken and she was in labor. I told her that I was so sorry, but I wasn't going to be able to make her birth because of the scheduled induction and because if I wasn't at the induction that I was going to be with Rachel. (Nancy knows Rachel, they had Bradley class together.) Nancy said it was ok, and that she would let me know how the birth went. Fast forward to last night after I get home from my hospital birth. I get a call from Donna about Nancy's birth. I hadn't talked to Nancy about it yet. Donna told me all about what had happened. It is in her words below. I copied it from her blog. If you want the full post, go to her blog. Here is an expert:

"First of all, congratulations to Nancy and Frank, from my class that just ended a few weeks ago. They were pregnant with baby #2, and very much like me, had an epidural with the first, got educated about birth after-the-fact, she became a doula, and wanted an unmedicated birth. She was planning a hospital birth and both her and her husband were very well prepared. She had all her plans in place. Her first baby arrived 3 weeks early, so she has been ready for quite some time, just in case. She had a doula, a babysitter for baby #1, even a sort of back-up doula, or shadow, to the first doula. Frank says she was supposed to be his doula.
Her water broke during the night, about 3:00 a.m., and by about 5:00 a.m. she realized that it was moving very fast. She called her doula who came right over. The shadow doula was on standby for someone else and had another birth to be at by 7:00, and since it would likely be many hours, she didn't go to their house.
It wasn't long before Nancy was making pushing sounds, grunting and the like. At this point, they were waiting for the babysitter to get there when the doula told her that she had two options. 1) Call an ambulance and have the baby at home, or 2) Call a midwife the doula worked with and have the baby at home. Thankfully, she chose the midwife.
The baby boy was born 20 minutes after the midwife arrived. He weighed 9 lbs. 9 ounces and was 21 1/2 inches long. And she did not
tear! "

Needless to say, Rachel has yet to have her baby. Unfortunately, she will have to be induced tomorrow if nothing happens today. She is okay with that, as she was due 2/25. Lots of babies this week.

I am on my way back to my house now. We have been staying at my in laws house since Sunday. I am ready for my own things and my own food again. If I don't get power today, someone is going to see "Evil Hannah" come out. But, we will have power, so that won't happen. :) Our internet/phone/tv won't be connected until Monday so this may be the last post for a while.

Thanks for keeping updated!

HUGS!!!

1 comment:

Jolyn said...

Ok, you totally had me in giggles trying to picture an "Evil Hannah".