Sunday, August 1, 2010

mountain air for mommy

I am overwhelmed. I am tired. I am ready for a big change.

I am a new mom. I am not sleeping. I am lucky to have a shower by noon.

Last week I put my shirt on backwards...TWICE. I am not sure exactly what happened to my body (I try not to look down too much).

Since my last (depressing) post, I decided I needed a mommy/wife time out. Every summer since I was six years old, my family has taken a trip to Colorado. I haven't been since being married. Scott and I have always had to work and haven't really had the money to go along. My parents were getting ready to head out to Colorado on Thursday. Tuesday night Scott and I had a really depressing discussion about the job status and our "situation". Wednesday morning I woke up and felt like I needed to get away for a while. I called Mom and she and Dad said it would be okay for Eli to tag along to Colorado. I frantically packed us up and we left on the 5:25pm train to OKC and then Dad picked us up. We left the next afternoon for VACATION. I am thankful for a much needed break.

We stopped in Atwood, KS on the way out. My dad grew up in Atwood. He and his sisters bought the house they grew up in and it sits vacant for passers by to rent out as needed. We stayed there for two nights. On Saturday morning I needed some things. Mind you, Atwood it a tiny town. You can see downtown from the front porch of my dad's childhood house on Main Street and the high school is 100 feet from the front door. So, Daniel and I (and Eli in the Moby) took the two and a half block trek downtown. We passed the library, and the insurance agency that had a sign on the door saying "We will be closed Aug. 2nd and 3rd to move our boys to college", the hardware store, and the bank on our way to Duckwalls. Duckwalls is the "Hometown Variety Store"....sort of like Wal-Mart, although they didn't have the fabric I was looking for. It is quite a different feel from the big city. Even the town I grew up in is quaint and quiet compared to where we live. It was a nice stop on our way up the hill.

Now I am sitting in a cabin in the mountains breathing in 60 degree, crisp mountain air and feeling very relaxed and carefree at the moment. Eli did very well on the trip. I was nervous that his ears would bother him with the altitude change. But, thankfully, he did so well. We stopped at Whole Foods in Denver for some groceries and dinner on the way up. Although we have one about 20 minutes from our house, I rarely go...not sure why...probably because I would spend a fortune. Love that store!

AND......

It also helps that Scott got a call last Wednesday for an interview on Thursday morning with a business that will offer him a full time job with benefits! So with those two things going, I am a happy, refreshed mommy and wife. He has a second interview with the company owner tomorrow and unless he totally bombs it, he will start a new job very soon. This is huge and is a definite answer to the prayers I know many of you have been saying for us.

Here's to a totally relaxing week and a much needed break from the stresses of life right now. We are missing Daddy, but Eli wrote him a post card tonight when we arrived. Maybe next year for our family.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Kudos to you for taking the time for self care. I know you'll keep us posted on the job front. Praying!

Claire Coleman said...

I love Colorado! What a great place to relax and destress! Glad you're getting some time to rejuvenate for yourself, your hubby and your son! Everyone needs to do that sometimes! I'll continue to keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers!