Thursday, August 5, 2010

and...he sleeps

Since the "freak out" on Tuesday, Eli has been getting plenty of rest. My friend, Lori, advised me that kids can physically hurt when they don't get enough sleep. Yes, this is true I discovered. So, with that incident behind us, I was not going to allow this to happen again. I am usually pretty good at tuning into his needs and feeding him and putting him down to sleep when he shows signs of needing this. But, vacation has messed that up. Yesterday I decided that even if we are on the go, I am going to pay attention to the signs better. He sleeps well in the sling. If I need to go off into a corner and get him to sleep before continuing out and about, well, that is what I am going to do. Nap time is a must. As I write this, he has been sleeping for four hours. He has been playing catch up since Tuesday, poor little fellow.

Today we went to a craft shop to paint pottery. He slept in the sling and I painted him a piggy bank. Well, it was more like a jar to collect money. A rainy day fund I have decided. It is going to be so cute and it matches his room. That is one nice thing about babywearing. Kids love it. Moms love it. And, it can be hands free.

It has been a rather relaxing vacation, but I can tell Eli misses Daddy. He was fussy yesterday and we put Daddy on the phone and let him talk to Eli and he got real quiet. I believe that some of his routine has been thrown off by the absence of his Daddy. I miss him too and am anxious to get back home. It will be a different dynamic now that he has gone from working 15 hours a week to working 60. But, we will have to get used to this new schedule and Daddy not being around as much, which ultimately I am so thankful for.

I am not big on schedules these days. How can you be when you have a baby that you feed and tend to on cue? But, I have decided to start planning my weeks out for cleaning and cooking. I have always wanted to do this but just haven't. Monday through Friday I will have a cleaning list of what to do each day so I am not loading up on all the chores in one day. And, I will make meal plans for dinner and shop for the groceries at the beginning of the week. I bet some of you are reading this and thinking "duh, that is what we do", but I am a procrastinator when it comes to things like this. This may be a new adjustment for me since I am used to working full time and just caring for just two of us. We were used to making our own schedule and doing things as we felt like it. Adding a baby sure changes things. Being a stay at home mom is going to be an adjustment too. I plan to work two half days a week starting in September, but thankfully because of Scott's new job, I can stay home with Eli and love him all day long.

Can't wait to share some pictures of our vacation when we return home this weekend!

2 comments:

Lori said...

Yeah, sometimes it can be tough to work around those naps it's worth it. Kudos to you for guarding those naps! I love painting pottery studios! Yes, I remember when I could take three hours in one day to clean the whole house. Now I have to settle with 10 minutes here and there. Sometimes I'm still getting used to that. I have to start a week in advance when I know company is coming. I try to keep in mind that the whole house may not be clean all at once, but it's usually presentable.

MOMSWEB said...

So true about those much NEEDED naps. This doesn't change as they grow older either. Attitudes get ugly when sleep is deprived. The same goes with the mother...we tend to become irritable when we don't get enough rest, so don't forget to take care of YOU also.

Glad I dropped by today; have a GREAT weekend!