Sunday, August 29, 2010

hungry and broke

Not us, thankfully.

Ironically, on the way home from the grocery store where I had just finished buying groceries that we could finally afford, I passed a guy standing on the corner holding a sign that read "hungry and broke." It got me thinking, how does someone get to such a desperate point to where they feel they have no other option but to stand on the street corner and beg? I wonder why they are spending their time begging rather than looking for a job? Are they ineligible for a job? Have they been in jail? Can they not keep a job? Who knows? But, I thought about giving this guy some food out of the grocery bag sitting on the seat next to me, but I was in the middle lane and decided not to yell across the busy street to give him food. I don't give beggars money because I saw an interesting thing once, but food or water I don't mind sharing.

That interesting thing I saw was this.

I had been downtown trying to meet some friends at the train station to head out for an evening in Dallas a couple of years ago. I got a bit lost so I stopped in a gas station to ask for directions. There was a lady in there buying beer. About a week later Scott and I went downtown to an art show and I saw the same lady holding a sign asking for money. So, that is why I don't trust beggars anymore. One lady ruined it for them all. It just makes me sad though. I am so thankful to know that if we were ever starting to get to that point, we have family that would graciously help us out. So that was that.

The weekends go by way too fast. We went from seeing Daddy all day every day to him working 50+ hours a week. Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful. We are paying off so many things. But, we miss Daddy when he works his pizza delivery job in the evenings. Saturday morning we went to breakfast for my birthday and then we went to a birth fair. I had to represent the Tarrant Co. Birth Network for two hours at our booth. When we got home we all crashed out. Little Bubs slept from 4:30pm to 7:30am (with three feeding in between of course). I think we are on the same path today. He has been sleeping since 3:30 this afternoon. It is currently 7:30pm. I think he must be going through a growth spurt because he doesn't usually sleep like this. But, I am not a rigid scheduler and feel that if he needs this sleep then he should have it. I am not about to wake him. I was a bit worried that last night he wouldn't sleep through the night, but he did. I am hoping he will sleep tonight too.

Little Bubs was dedicated at church today. And, being the amazing mother that I am, I hope this will forever be captured in our memory since I forgot the camera. He sure looked cute in his "little" (6-9 month) overall outfit. He was such a good boy and so well behaved too. I think every mother who takes her child to the front of the church on a Sunday dreads an outburst. But that, thankfully, did not happen to us. I hope and pray God will give us the strength and wisdom to be good parents and raise him to be a good young man. When I look at him my heart swells. He chose us to be his parents and I feel a lot of responsibility to care for and raise him well.

Inquiring minds want to know....who do you think he looks like? When we look at him we see a blend of both of us. What do you think?And, yes another video of baby babble. He has been talking so much lately and I love to capture it on camera. Mostly for the family who can't be here to watch him grow but also for us as I know that he will be all grown up before we know it.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I know, there are so many mommies in my play group who have hard working dads who are gone long hours of the day. I recommend two books: The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura to help show dad how much you appreciate his hard work. And The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie O'Martin. A comprehensive list of topics with prayers to pray over your child. It's never to early to start praying for school, his spouse (she just might be born by now), etc.

Budgets are the New Black said...

Oh, Hannah. I saw your dad in him until I just saw him up next to Scott. Oh, Lordy. He might be one of those who looks like whoever he's with! People tell me my kids all look like me, until they see John, and vice versa.

And I missed your birthday! So I hope you had a great one! The 30's are really great, I promise you. No sarcasm. :)