Thursday, October 9, 2008

birthing on my mind

Tuesday evening I went to the hospital with a one of the girls who was to be induced on Wednesday morning. She was a very sweet girl BTW! They were giving her meds to prepare her for the delivery so she was going to be staying the night at the hospital. I stayed with her for about 4 hours and her mom was going to be staying the night with her, so I was able to leave. I wasn't able to be at the birth yesterday because I had a training in Plano.

My training yesterday was a childbirth education class called Supporting the Teen During the Childbearing Year. Lots of great info and training tools to use when I begin teaching classes myself. We learned many laboring techniques as well as tools to use in classes to help teens, or anyone for that matter, to understand what to expect. So far I only work with young women that are putting up for adoption, but there is such a need for support for teens that are keeping their babies. It is a big life changing event!

Today I took one of the girls to GED class this morning. I had only met her one time. We had about a 15 minute drive so her class so we got to chat. I told her I think that it was a great thing that she was going to get her GED. She will have so many opportunities now. She is a very sweet girl. This afternoon I am taking two girls to get sonograms. Tonight I will stay the night at the center to get training on being a house parent. House parents stay at the dorm with the girls and help them with cooking, chores, etc. The HP calls the child birth coordinator (CBC) at any time girls need to go to the hospital. I am a CBC. Anyway, I am training to be an HP so I can substitute for this weekend. I will have to stay at the dorm overnight on Saturday until Sunday evening. I will know more about what an HP does after tonight.

I have a massage appointment in the morning (I think he'll be a regular), then onto Veria in the afternoon. Only Friday and Saturday and then I am done there.

Well, I better go. I have to pick the girl back up from her GED and then on to sonograms this afternoon. I will keep you updated.

Thanks again for reading my blog! I know, my life is crazy, but I am glad it interests you :).....

2 comments:

judy said...

Hannah, you are amazing. Lucky girls that get you to be with them.

Jerilyn said...

What a gift to be able to do what you are doing. I don't always comment on your blogs but I ALWAYS read them - and love them.