Saturday, September 13, 2008

ready or not, here I go

Good Rainy Morning Ya'll!

We are definitely feeling the effects of hurricane Ike this morning. I'll most likely be canoeing to work this afternoon. It is one of those days where you just want to snuggle on the couch and watch movies all day. Unfortunately, that won't be happening. I have a paper to write on antioxidants and then off to work. I am taking a break to share some thoughts.

"I am going to be a doula" is what I keep telling myself over and over. But, it wasn't until this morning that I really understood what I am getting myself into. Not having experienced childbirth myself, I really don't know what I am in for. I will admit, I am naive, my mother told me, oh so lovingly, I am naive about childbirth and I am. I have never given birth, been at a birth, or really ever watched a "real" birth on screen. I don't really remember the video we watched in fourth grade of a baby being born. (As a side note, I would like to point out that when I decided to go to massage school I had never had a massage in my whole life either, and I do believe that I am a very good massage therapist, so I have been told.) Well, this morning, as I googled "doula" I got to see lots of things. I watched a very detailed video of a woman giving birth at home. WOW! Kudos to her and every other woman in the world who has given birth naturally. It was truly amazing to watch this, although I did feel a bit uncomfortable watching due to the fact that she was completely naked. But, I guess that is just one of those things that I will be exposed to. Again, yes mother, I am naive about childbirth.

I think what it comes down to is networking and resources. I found a great blog of a doula in Canada that I am going to keep up with. And, a woman I had gotten in touch with about attending Bradley classes for my doula certification has a new blog. It is called Banned From Baby Showers. You can only imagine what her blog might say. She is a very friendly, outgoing woman with a lot of ideas and opinions about childbirth. I like her! So, she has become an excellent resource, living only about 25 minutes from me. I am taking her 12 week Bradley class starting in November. Scott is going to come to a few classes with me. I think he is kind of excited, but the fact that we are attending without the expectation of a baby on the way sounds kind of boring to him. But, my certification will not allow me to take a childbirthing class while I am pregnant. I guess they don't want you thinking about your own birth with a biased mindset.

My certification should not take too long once I have attended the workwhop the first week in November. I have to read several books, attend three live births, write a couple of papers, and so on once the workshop is completed. They give you two years to complete the program, but that is mostly to allow you to attend three births. I am praying that it will not be difficult for me to find births to be a part of.

I will also be changing my other blog, Lifestyles for Natural Healing, to a blog more about living a natural life in order to include the many areas of my studies and knowledge, nutrition, therapeutic massage, and now birth and postpartum doulaing. My lifestyles blog is so boring right now. It needs whipped into shape. That will be a great source of marketing in this area and it doesn't take a lot of time and the best part is that it is free!

I have so many ideas for what I can do and where I will go with this. I am an entrepreneur at heart, what can I say! I guess I take after my daddy. I am so excited for the future and what lies ahead!!

Thanks for reading. Stay dry!

1 comment:

sheri said...

Hi, Honey,
Just wanted to expand on the idea that you may be naive and inexperienced. Naive...only because you grew up in small town midwest America and inexperienced because experience is the only first-hand learning that there is. You will have that soon enough.

I am so proud of you for going after those things that your heart desires. It means stepping out of your "boxes". When we get too comfortable with where we are that we are not willing to seek more...that is true naivety. Alexander Solzhenitsyn was a novelist and historian from the Soviet Union who died just last month. He was exiled from his homeland because in the 1970's he exposed the prison camp system of his country. Anyway, he once said, " We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable." I thought that was profound and can be applied to almost every area of life.

Anyway, you have my absolute support as you seek to gain experience outside your comfort level. You will be magnificent.

Love you enormously,
Mom