Wednesday, September 17, 2008

a new beginning

Ok, I may have stepped on a few toes with my previous post. I haven't birthed, so I don't really have a lot of room have a strong viewpoint on natural childbirth. But, just wait, I will one day. :) I guess for now, I should ask "why" to myself. I am just curious and really want to dig into the minds of women to find out their feelings on their experience and how they chose to do it the way they did. I think that mostly I feel as though women have been robbed of choices. It seems as though they are instructed to do it one way or another and that is all they know. And, if they have had a positive experience in childbirth it is more difficult to question "why". Anyway, my sincerest apologies for anyone who thinks "that crazy girl has no clue." ;) I have always considered myself open minded. I guess open minded doesn't mean that my mind is only open to hear what I want to hear or believe. I will allow to embrace all aspects of childbirth.

I am very excited to announce that I have taken a part time position as a childbirth coordinator at a local adoption agency. I suppose this position will allow me to see all aspects of birth from many ages of women. This position will require me to mentor young women as they stay in a dorm setting until they give birth. I will be taking them to appointments and school activities as well as attending births as their birth coach. All of these young women are in a situation where they will be giving their child up for adoption. I believe this will be a truly amazing experience for me.

Enjoy the lovely weather! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Your new job sounds absolutely incredible, Hannah! I can imagine you'll meet some pretty amazing people. And what a perfect place for you to experience birth. Awesome.

I think you've got spunk! I think it is great to have a stance on natural child birth - even if you haven't yet given birth. What I experienced (going from knowing nothing at the beginging of my pregnancy to taking HB classes and THEN doing a 180 on my thoughts about it and having three NCB's because of what I knew) was fabulous. P.S. People stop rolling their eyes once you have given birth. My own husband thought I was nuts while I was pregnant with Number One! :)

I find for myself it isn't that women are robbed of choices (though they definitely can be and are sometimes) but that it is rare for anyone to CARE how it all works. That part makes me sad, as it is such an amazing experience. I was obsessed (and still am!) with birth.

Keep that passion! :)

Cherilyn Dahlsten said...

Hannah, is this in addition to your other job or instead of?

If you are going to change the world, you're going to have to step on some toes to do it! And those toes make big bucks and market fear. Those who want what's best for women and for themselves, will cheer your initiative and the fact that you care and are proactively educating yourself. Others will raise eyebrows or be more skeptical but don't let them stop you. Give an answer with gentleness and respect for the hope that is within you and then let them make their own choices.