Monday, November 2, 2009

not your average parents-to-be

Halloween was spooky, but not because we celebrated in any form or fashion. We were out with some friends of Scott's family all evening.

So, what was so spooky?

We finally got our first taste of negative reactions from people opposed to our non-traditional style.

As a side note: I am so grateful that I am married to someone who believes in the same things that I do. In my teens, while struggling with depression, our family got introduced to alternative health and natural healing. Since then, it hasn't always been easy for others to understand why we choose not to go to the doctor or medicate with drugs for illnesses. I am so thankful that I have a husband that supports me in all aspects of my health. He is very much on board with our decision to have our baby at home.

So that being said, he likes to share our ideas and plans with others. Seems like several years ago I quit being so outspoken about our "natural" beliefs. We got a lot of flack growing up with all of our herbs and natural healing techniques, so I found it easier to just play "normal". But, the hubs isn't so afraid. He isn't scared of a little conflict.

On Saturday night, Baby R's coming was announced in a large group. Of course everyone loves an expectant mommy and daddy and have all kinds of questions. While I was off chatting it up in one corner, Scott got asked the question from a lady...."what hospital are you having your baby at?" Without hesitation he explained we will be having our baby at home. She didn't have a response. She immediately turned and walked away.

On our way home, we were talking about it. It comes down to people not understanding and not being informed about what a home birth really entails. (That will be another post.) Scott said that lady probably thought he was going to be catching our baby all by himself.....hahahaha! Now that is funny.

One thing that I have heard over and over from veteran mothers and fathers is not listen to all the all the flack and horror stories from other people. I know that other people who have been through it have their ideas and opinions. For instance, we also got one persons very strong opinion on how pregnant women should have the H1N1 and flu shots.

We are very confident in our decisions about our birth for Baby R and trust that what we are doing is the best for us. Being experienced in pregnancy and birth already, and having read many books and articles on health and pregnancy, I am sure that we are making the best decisions we know we can make.

I do have to say, though, that for my contest going on over at Bellies In Bloom, I have asked for advice and have gotten some really great comments and great suggestions!

No comments: