Sunday, July 5, 2009

lazy sunday afternoon

A nap.

Endless laundry...mostly sheets...that will become a pile on the spare bed until I feel like getting around to it mid-week.

Iced herbal peach tea.

Straightening the house a bit for clients tomorrow.

And, the Dixie Chicks, who I have been boycotting since their 2002 scandal...but, today seemed like a good day to reconcile my dispute with them.

....yes, it is a lazy Sunday afternoon.

The 4th crept upon me so fast this year. We had set plans to attend a friend's wedding and I was on call for work. I guess when you have plans set so far in advance and you aren't working them out last minute, it seems to just creep up.

Our evening after the wedding was spent in the den deep in thought and conversation with one another. I can't remember the last time (if ever) that I missed fireworks on the 4th. We listened to the booms and pops from inside the house, however.

As I laid down to bed last night, I was remembering the fun times that my brothers had around the 4th. There isn't much you can't do with miniature explosives. Plus, in the town I grew up in, it was legal to shoot fireworks from your house. And, not just on the 4th. As soon as July rolled around, the stands were out and the fireworks were in the hands of youngsters eager to blow up anything and everything in site. Something I can say is fun for a while. But, me, I have that nervous motherly instinct. You know, the one you get when you hear the horror stories and see the pictures of the kids that didn't take to heart their parent's firm words of, "it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt."

********
For a while, we were having date night on Saturday nights. It was actually really fun. Each of us came up with two or three date night activities and we put them in a cup and drew the "date night". Whatever the paper said is what we did. No arguing about what to do. Some of the dates were even free, or very cheap. But, now that we are in the hot summer, we are having trouble coming up with free dates inside. He isn't much a game person and I can only play cards so much. Any ideas to spice it up are welcomed and encouraged, but have to be totally free!

********
If anyone is interested, I have started a "story" on my other blog. It is called "Coming Full Circle" and has chapters and everything! I thought about staring another blog, but then the look in Scott's eyes told me that keeping up with two blogs is plenty. I feel like I should share my story. As raw as it is emotionally, physically, and spiritually, I think that it is worth sharing. Someone will get something out of it I think.

No comments: