Saturday, June 14, 2008

a little of this a little of that

Eventually I will make it to the grocery store today. I have a medium sized list of things I have to get. We are having Scott's dad for lunch tomorrow (which reminds me I have a little bit of cleaning and straightening to do) so that is the main reason I am going to get food. Otherwise, we would continue to eat strange meals until I absolutely HAD to go the store. For lunch today we had beets, bean salad, and deviled eggs. I have been making up my own creations these days. Scott says I need to put a cookbook together. I don't use recipes much unless we are having company. Well, I did for the deviled eggs, but the bean salad was an experiment with leftover veggies and black beans. Around our house, when Scott sees me making a meal without a cookbook, he'll say "so, we're having another "creation" tonight, huh?" I made a gluten free chocolate cake the other night (just a craving) and started out using a recipe, but ended up not having all of the ingredients so I through a bunch of substitutes in and called it good....Scott liked it so I won...YAH!

After , or before groceries (I haven't decided yet) I will get started on my paper for my class called Elements of Nutrition: Antioxidants, Phytonutrients, and Enzymes. I finished the first book for the class and I have to write a paper on my opinion of what are the top 10 healthiest foods. This could be very interesting. Scott and I have been discussing and I have a list of about five that I have to research now and have data to back up my opinion. One of my references is The Top 150 Healthiest Foods which I have found to be an extremely interesting book and very informative on a lot of different types of foods. My top five as of this moment are spinach (leafy greens), wild salmon, blueberries, legumes, and almonds. This may change as I do more research. I think that I will head to Barnes and Noble to get more references. Believe it or not, the public library here in Fort Worth (or the closest one to our house anyway) doesn't have a lot of literature on natural and alternative health. There were more books at the tiny Springdale, AR library than here. B and N has a lot of books that I can look at. I like to go there and study because I had just the right amount of background noise.

Well, off to get things done! My dishwasher (Scott) just quit on me so I have to finish dishes and take a shower from working out and get moving.....not much day left and a lot to do!

2 comments:

Cherilyn Dahlsten said...

Rats, I was hoping chocolate would make the list! There's still room in the top 10!

Try this "creation."
Layer in a salad bowl:
Cooked brown rice - add fresh cilantro after it has cooked
Black beans
Chicken breast cut into strips, seasoned with blackened seasoning and cooked in a skillet or on the grill.
Monterey jack cheese
Lettuce
Salsa
Sour cream (opt.)
MMMMMMM - Tastes like Chipolte!

Jolyn said...

Hey, what about dog food? I always heard that if you were stranded on a desert island and could only have ONE food with you, that it is the most nutritious and gives the most bang for your buck.

Or something like that.

Um, I guess "dog" "food" is a bit of an oxymoron, though.