Sunday, June 22, 2008

Having Babies and Buying Houses

Believe it or not, I am actually seeking advice on these two subjects. Anyone out there have any wonderful, thoughtful words for us?

The reason I ask.....we are looking into the whole buying a house thing. The baby thing, well, not so much right now. Our landlord has several rental properties that are going to be for sale in the near future. We are interested in one house in particular. It would possibly be ready by the end of the year and we may be ready to buy at that time too. I haven't felt truly settled since we have gotten married. Sometimes it feels like we are always waiting on the next thing before we do anything like buy a house and start a family. I have come to the realization that it is ok to get settled in a place even though we don't know what the future holds for us. I sort of feel behind being almost 28 and Scott being 30. I guess we just got a later start in life than others.

So anyway, I would be greatly encouraged by anyone who has gone through this....

3 comments:

Katie Kirk said...

Well, I have a comment: Have nothing to do with the "I should..." thoughts. Starting later is not bad. Not knowing the future is actually good practice for faith, which is VITAL - TRUE faith. And being too prepared is sometimes 'being bound' to yourself more than being bound to Christ. Love you,
Katie

Heidi said...

i didn't realize scott was thirty already. boy we just keep getting older don't we? Thank goodness God has his own time for things and they always workout better his way better than ours

Jolyn said...

Hey Hannah,
Finally catching up on blogs here after getting behind during our trip to Kansas ... I must say I can relate to the feeling of never feeling settled! That pretty much sums up my life, but I have always gone to the effort of always making our home our home, whether that be painting it, hanging things on the walls, and having pride in it even if it was just a rental. And now, 14 years later, I look around our house in Ohio -- yet another temporary home, that we bought even knowing we would be leaving it someday -- and it is filled with all sorts of things that are so familiar because they've been on our walls and in our rooms in every other apartment and house we've lived in...
I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about! I guess what I'm saying is, even though you don't know what the future holds, yes, you can "settle" into your life. After all, even the people who have no plans to move ever again -- things happen and plans change, you know? Taking pride in and investing in your Here and Now I have found to be a practice in contentment. All this STUFF is temporary, when it comes right down to it. Moving around, if nothing else, has cemented that truth in me -- all that work I put into our home? only to move again? I believe it is worthwhile because it is the home I make for my family, and they are what is important. Only our Father in heaven knows what tomorrow brings, after all. So make the most of what you have today, and hope that there is even better yet to come. And that is my advice to you.