Sunday, May 4, 2008

plans and change

Today was so beautiful outside! It was easy to take advantage of the wonderful, sunny weather. This afternoon I took a walk about 8 blocks from our house to the TCU Barnes and Noble to finish up my class on Cancer Prevention and Politics....talk about some crazy stuff. Tomorrow I will finish my essay questions and send it off for grading. And, then on to the next class. It was a nice, peaceful walk to the bookstore. Just a bunch of TCUers studying for finals. The guys next to me where studying some kind of algebra mumble jumble! They seemed confused. I was confused just listening to them. Anyway, thank goodness I still have the day off tomorrow. I need to catch up on house work from being gone to Arkansas. I leave again for Kansas on Thursday. I am excited for the Mac All Schools Day festivities. Nathan will be marching in the high school band. Plus, I get to have an acupuncture appointment and a zero balancing treatment from my mom's friend. I am looking forward to some relaxing time with the family. So, now to the real deal of this blog.

My high school counselor once told me that she could tell I didn't deal with change very well. That was 10 years ago right around the time that Daniel came along. I have not forgotten her telling me that and I often wonder if she was right. If she was right, I wonder why some things in my life don't seem to stay constant. I have had a lot of change in my life. Growing up our family dynamics changed quite a bit ....about every six years until I was 18! I have moved six times and have had six different jobs in the past 3 years.

Some changes I planned out, such as changing colleges from Oklahoma Christian University to the University of Arkansas to secure graduating from an accredited Interior Design school (haha). Getting married took a lot of planning....eight months worth. Some changes were not planned. May 16th, 2002 was not in my plans. In fact that day changed the course of my life. That was the day I received 2nd and 3rd degree burns in a kitchen fire.

Scott loosing his job right before Christmas, that wasn't in our plans either. What is so fascinating to me is the part God plays in the plans we make and how things often don't turn out like we expect. Take my freak kitchen accident. I was one week into summer from my junior year. I ended up not going my senior year. Instead I took a job at Wal-Mart Corporate Office. Next thing I know I am pursuing my bachelor's degree in Holistic Nutrition and going to massage therapy school. Talk about something I didn't plan. And then there was Scott loosing his job in Arkansas after we had only been there for five months. That was surely not in MY plan. My plan would have been to raise my family close to my sister and live happily ever after....(again haha).

Funny how we make plans, huh? Plans for vacation, plans for a family, plans for our future, a plan for a job. I think the key is to plan to plan for change! I know we have learned a lot. Plans for change include being financially, spiritually, emotionally, and physically prepared. We just don't know what tomorrow will bring or if there will even be a tomorrow. I guess by now it has sunk in with me that life cannot be planned out to know every thing that will come into our path. I know that I would miss a lot of people (Nathan, Daniel and Andrew!) if our plans beat out God's plans though.

Tonight a couple of verses stand out on this subject that give me a peace beyond understanding.

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21

"For I know that plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11

Happy 10th Birthday Daniel!

3 comments:

Em said...

Hannah, you are so right. It seems like every time I plan something in my life and get "settled," I am ready for another change. The two of us are very different in that aspect, but yet very much the same. I've realized that change is good, although it's not always planned. Thank you for pointing this matter out, as I am in the process of change, AGAIN! Wish I could see you all this coming weekend...love you!

Cherilyn Dahlsten said...

You are so much smarter at your age than I was. I remember the day I figured out my plans were so lame compared to the surprises God brought. And the dreams I had to let go of, with time and perspective, paled to the dreams God brought to replace them. I heard on the radio such a good reminder. God only says no to the things that are not good (best) for us!

Jolyn said...

I so loved that you wrote about this and shared it with us! For my two bits I must say that I learned this long ago...but am still relearning it day by day (and move by move)!
But what's up with the "sixes"??