Sunday, January 24, 2010

stick a fork in me

...I'm done.

What a crazy few days!

I have been back and forth to Dallas all weekend. Can I just say that I am not a fan of Dallas or the traffic? A GPS would be very helpful these days. But, back to the reason I have been in Dallas in the first place. I have put my birth doula work on hold to do postpartum doula work while I am pregnant. I am not sure what is more exhausting though. As a birth doula you get called at crazy, unexpected hours at any moment day or night. Births can last hours or even days. As a postpartum doula the work is scheduled (more like nanny work), but still exhausting.

I was hired by a client who was having a scheduled c-section with her second baby on Thursday. She needed me to help her care for her other child while she had surgery. Her first daughter turned 14 months the day the second was born. At 14 months, she is over 30 lbs. and wears 2T and some 3T clothes. And, the kicker.....she doesn't walk yet. Ugh. I am one exhausted mommy-to-be. I don't know how women do it when they have kids so close together. This new mom with two kids has her work cut out for her. They are headed back home from the hospital today. Now my job is to help care for the two little ones while she recovers from her surgery until she is able to manage on her own. I think this will be about 10-14 days.

Tomorrow marks the halfway mark of my pregnancy....20 weeks! I am feeling good, for the most part. My new favorite thing, though, is my hot and cold water bottle. My whole back has been generally tight. I have been using it in place of my electric heating pad since I am not sure that is good for the baby. Because I have a sacralization (a fusion that I was born with of my 5th lumbar vertebra to the sacrum that causes limited flexibility and movement in my pelvis), I have been getting chiropractic care from my friend Rachel to keep the discomfort under control. My low back started bothering me at 10 weeks :(. I just keep praying it won't get more uncomfortable as my belly grows outward.

I started feeling Baby R move about 2 weeks ago. It is a strange feeling, yet makes me so happy at the same time. I love those little movements and I look forward to feeling them every day. I feel like Baby R is telling me things when he/she moves.

I have also been talking to Baby a lot. Sometimes when I can't talk out loud, I just talk in my head. Baby R still hears, right? I tell Baby R the things that I am doing all day long, especially when he/she moves a lot. I think Baby R wonders what I am doing so I just tell the story of my day. My parents gave lots of books to Baby R for Christmas and I am going to start reading to Baby now that he/she can hear.

We are curious about the gender but still like the surprise of it. It is like Baby R has a secret. I put up a poll. What do you think Baby R will wear? Pink? Blue? Be sure and vote! Oh, and I think we have officially decided on names now....but you will have to wait until June to find out.

BELLY NOTES:
  • Baby R will be the as long as a banana this week. About 10 1/2 ounces and 10 inches long (on average). Or, if Daddy R's genes have anything to do with it, probably longer.
  • My sniffer is EXTRA sensitive. Pretty much everything stinks.
  • The hair on my legs is barely growing. I could totally get used to this.
  • I am craving fresh squeezed lemonade and baked goods. One night I started making scones at 9pm because I HAD to have them.
  • I am extra emotional.
  • I have been nesting like crazy. Getting organized seems to be top priority these days.
  • I am thankful for two new comfy bras that don't have under wires. It was like a breath of fresh air.
  • Natural Childbirth class starts March 5th.
  • Been doing a lot of reading for fun. Sometimes the pregnancy and childbirth books can get overwhelming and unnerving.
  • Started working out again last week. It is minimal though, because the walking makes my back ache.
  • Daddy R likes to give Baby kisses and talk to him/her too.
  • Even though I have been trying to drink 100 oz. of water a day, I have been waking up with leg cramps at night.
This afternoon I took the Gladney girls to Build A Bear. Thanks to the perk of working there, I got to make a bear for Baby R! I named this little guy Sammy. I guess it could be a Samuel or Samantha depending on what Baby R wants/is.
When I got home from Build A Bear, I found the hubs under the sink installing our new garbage disposal. I cannot tell you how excited I am about this! Thanks Mom and Dad for much needed Christmas gift. Just one more thing that will make our house a home.


Thanks Babe! What a great handy man you are!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

You look absolutely gorgeous! Glad to hear all is going well...though I am with you in hoping your back doesn't get too much more uncomfortable as Baby R continues to grow.

Way to go, Scott, on the garbage disposal! :)

Lori said...

You are already half way finished with your pregnancy! (give or take a couple days/weeks). Lots of stretching helped my cramps. Also a banana a day. You look great!

Jerilyn said...

That back stuff is no fun! Check your potassium level (bananas have it) for the leg cramps - that's what helps me.
You're looking good!