Saturday, February 7, 2009

another days work

This week was busy. Obviously, since I didn't post all week. A lady at work had to take some time off due to an illness so I have stepped up to fill in for her. It hasn't been too busy since there is only one baby due at the adoption agency. April is anticipated to be busy with six babies due. I took the girls to the rodeo this week. It was fun once the girls got over the smell. Seven pregnant girls and the first smell of the rodeo don't exactly mix well, but they got over it. I have to admit it does get pretty nauseating. One of my massage clients rides a horse in the rodeo grand entry. I got a picture of all of them, but it was a bit far to see exactly which one she was. I think she is the fourth one from the left with the longer dark hair. She and her husband are two of my favorite clients. She has been riding in the grand entry for 15 years and hasn't missed a ride. There are 36 rides each year during the rodeo that lasts about a month long here in Fort Worth.


Today was the first Saturday in a long time that Scott and I have been able to relax. We slept in and did a few things around the house. Mostly we just laid around and talked about our new house. We have different ideas about room arrangement. We'll see in three weeks when we move in who won. :) I have been thinking about packing, but an not confident enough to start just yet.

Scott is coaching tonight. I went to the first half of the game, but came home with a headache. There was just too much noise. I got a biofeedback treatment earlier today and sometimes I get a detox headache. So, now I am just laying in bed in the peace and quiet. I hope they win!

Yesterday I had another client have her baby. Click here for more details. In the days leading up to a birth, I can completely stress myself out. I think "I have no idea what I am doing" and "how in the world am I going to help her when I haven't done this myself"...you know, all the things you can say to talk yourself out of being cool and confident. The truth is, you cannot ever plan on what to do or say in a birth ahead of time. Every birth is vastly different. The mother's needs and wants are so different. There are times that I sit in front of her and think "ok, Hannah, what can I say or do right this very minute?" She is uncomfortable and not sure what she wants and is looking to me for support and answers and sometimes I just don't have that at that very moment. Sometimes the tools in my bag aren't enough. She just needs my voice and my encouragement. I think that being a doula is the most amazing "job" (if you can even call it that) ever though. Being able to be with a woman in the most intense and amazing experience of her life is incredible. There are so many highs and lows during natural labor and birth. I have learned not to take anything personally. When the baby is born and I tear up every time. I know it has been hard for her and all I can think right then is "she did it, she really did it."

My headache is getting out of control so I am going to get under the covers into the darkenss now.

Hugs ya'll!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Have you gotten the nerve to start packing? I can totally see how that would be stressful to you.

Glad to hear you and the hubs had a bit of time to relax together. Love it!